Want to upgrade my tripod something lighter

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Gregarpp, Apr 18, 2005.

1. Gregarpp

Gregarpp Guest

I decided to shoot my RZ67 one last time before it is sold to purchase more hasselblad items..

I have been using a Bogen 3221 tripod with 3265 grip action head.

The total weight of the tripod and head is 8 lbs.
    The grip action head is nice, but isn't the best ball head out there. The camera seems to shift when the trigger is release, so I have to compensate up a bit. It is rather annoying...

The 35mm SLR stuff is rather light, and I rarely use it on a tripod. If I am going to take the effort with a tripod, I shoot big negatives. I do have a 300mm/2.8 lens, which I might mount sometimes, but I mostly use it on a monopod.

Anyway.. I want to use it with a Hasselblad 500cm and 50mm 80mm 150mm lenses. Nothing that is very heavy..

Any suggestions?

I was looking at a carbon tripod and a nice smooth ballhead.

Gitzo legs, and I am not sure what brand of ballhead. I have tried some of the older Bogen ball heads and didn't like them.

2. pallydou

pallydou New Member

If you are using such equipment you can use a Gitzo carbon fibre G1227 or 1228. Manfrotto is good too for 443 (can't remember Bogen code).

For ball head, 2 choices: Arca Swiss Monoball B1 or Linhof Profi Ballhead II. You can see Linhof website and B&H to see whether they fit your needs. Still they weigh around 1Kg.

3. wolfnowl

wolfnowl New Member

A couple of more ball head companies are Really Right Stuff out of California, and Markins. For a lighter weight tripod, I'd agree with the Gitzo 1227/1228. One has 3 leg sections, the other four.

Mike.

4. Gregarpp

Gregarpp Guest

Are the bogen carbon one tripods a consideration?

5. Gregarpp

Gregarpp Guest

I was also looking at the Gitzo type Ball heads

G-1275M

types

6. jeryharwood

jeryharwood Member

Pete, Try a magnum size magic Ball tripod head, with the integral clutch- this has a delrin collar, and you can move the camera after you have set the clutch, so that you can make finite movements without upsetting any thing.. I wouldn't be without mine- use it all the time with tele lenses, and they don't droop !

7. jeryharwood

jeryharwood Member

Pete, Try a magnum size magic Ball tripod head, with the integral clutch- this has a delrin collar, and you can move the camera after you have set the clutch, so that you can make finite movements without upsetting any thing.. I wouldn't be without mine- use it all the time with tele lenses, and they don't droop !

8. spotmeter

spotmeter New Member

For my Hasselblad, I use a Gitzo 1325 MkII with an Acratech ballhead. Very sturdy, even with the 250mm lens. Very light.

9. mikej

mikej New Member

Hi, Pete - I just purchased a Gitzo Series 2 CF Tripod & Ball head. Field tested last week, very nice, light, stable. Using the same Hassy equip. as your ex&le. The tripod is a GT2540 and the ball head is a G1277M (Magnesium/Teflon w/ separate pan, tilt controls). I'm very satisfied and the whole rig weighs just over 4 lbs. The tripod supports 26.5 lbs and the ball head is good for 13.2 lbs.
    Cheers,
    Mike

10. mwiens

mwiens New Member

I second the Acratech ballhead.