Winder wexposure meter

jonwang

A photo store in oslo is presently dumping anything hasselblad. Among the objects at half price was a winder knob (C/M type) that boasted an exposure meter on the box. can anyone tell what the hell this is? surely it cant be a fully functioning ex. m. on a winder?
Jon Wang, Oslo.

david

The winder knob contains a selenium Gossen meter which is quite accurate. It indicates the EV number and is as good as my CdS handheld Gossen.

R

Razumoff

David,
Would you be confident enough in the meter winder knob to measure ligth for color transparencies as velvia 50 & 100 for ex&le ? You know the very very narrow possibilities of variation in exposure for these kind of film. Did you make some tests ?
Many thanks for your reply
N.

david

I have been using the meter for quite a while, and comparisons with the readings are right on compared with my handheld CdS. And it is just so handy being on the camera. Unfortunately, I mainly do B&W, and use the zone system to expose for specific details and vary development times to compensate for contrast. In the little colour slides I do, the meter has been pretty good, taking into account that I might have to open up a stop or two to make sure that the highlights come out bright, if the scene is a little dull. I find that it is easier to do slides, because the film generally has more latitude and you can't monkey with development times. I don't process my own colour stuff. My latest foray has been into chromagenic B&W (C-41), where I also lose the ability to compensate development times to make up for highlights and contrast when I expose for specific detail. I hope the better grain possibilities make up for less control. My first rolls are almost exposed and ready for the big test.